"And so we see it is by small and simple things that great things are brought to pass."

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Picture in My Mind

I am not a proslyting missionary! I have had that picture in my mind for so many years that it is hard to erase, but I am trying. Sister Peterson and I are not to be visiting teachers or have ward callings as we will be visiting other wards on most Sundays. It may also be that we are NOT going to attend zone conferences for the mission (that was the policy for all previous missionaries) or even meet our Mission President, as our direct supervisor is in our office, and a great man. This all means that I must adjust to "not what I thought a mission would be like," but to what my mission really is...and I can do that! That does not mean that Sister Peterson and I are not working hard memorizing scriptures and part of the Joseph Smith History, as we want to be prepared should the opportunity arise that we may teach the gospel, but we do recognize that is not our focus. We have faith in our calls and love Heavenly Father and the Savior as well as the people we serve. All will be well.
Justin Scott called today, he was evicted from his apartment and spent the night in his car. Someone told United Way and they are finding him temporary housing. The best news is that they may help him pay his fine so he can return to the job he has had for 28 years, driving a truck! When I called UW last week inquiring about just that thing, they said they did not do those kinds of things...h-m-m-m. Mr. Scott made an appointment with me for Thursday morning and I am most anxious to meet this fine gentleman. Tomorrow Dr. Tejpal Singh Basra is coming in for the second day of the workshop. This contrast in clientele is not lost on me...both of these gentlemen demonstrate to me the dignity of living honorable lives although in vastly different circumstances. This is humbling work!

No comments:

Post a Comment