"And so we see it is by small and simple things that great things are brought to pass."

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day in Georgia


Rain from Hurricane Lee and a tornado watch, but we were undeterred as our holidays are few and far between. We began our day in the kitchen with me making Mexicali Corn Dip and Sister P making pepper jelly. Then off to the Bishop's Storehouse to fill orders for the trucks going out on Tuesday. Back home to change into skirts and off for our adventure. I put some pass along cards into my purse and said a prayer that I would be able to hand some out. First stop was Office Depot so Sister Peterson could buy a backpack on wheels for her p 72 hour kit. As she was checking out I spotted a Hispanic woman standing waiting for someone, so I walked up to her and started chatting. I asked her if she had a family and when she responded in the affirmative, I offered her a pass along card that allowed her to send for a free DVD with ideas for creating a more loving family, which she accepted. Come to find out she has lived in the Yakima, Wapato, Sunnyside area of Washington state! My prayer was answered and she was the only opportunity the remainder of the day! Off to Kohl's so I could buy an umbrella as I lost my other one or it was stolen from work, as were my inexpensive pair of sunglasses. An expensive camera was also stolen, but that was someone else's error when they neglected to lock it up one night before the cleaners came. We looked to see if Ashley was working, but she wasn't, perhaps she got the new job she was seeking at a store in a mall closer to her home. We also looked for our clerk we like to visit, but she was not on the floor where we could see her. To the store for Sister P to purchase her fruit for the dinner at Karen's later in the day where I saw a BOGO on mayonnais, so I took advantage of that. I looked for someone to chat with, but did not see anyone so off we went to downtown Atlanta. We drove around and found a free parking spot and were glad we had our umbrellas as the rain was steady. It looks as though most of Atlanta had the same idea we had as the rain drove people indoors for Labor Day doings. It was a wonderful couple of hours as we saw beautiful creatures including dragon sea horses, an albino alligator, strange fish, and were able to touch a sting ray as it swam by. Sister P got a nice shot of a swordfish swimming overhead and we also saw the whale sharks feed. Interesting that the largest creatures in the sea eat the smallest ones...plankton! How do they ever get enough?...they are so large. Several hours later we were off for home to cut up the fruit, grab my appetizer and off to Karen's where we had a delicious meal and pleasant conversation. It was sad not to have Jay there but we were glad she did not have to be alone the first Labor Day without him. Home about 8:30 when Sister P started nodding (and so did I) after a very nice day. Grateful I could hand out a pass along card....I am sure it was to a person who Heavenly Father had marked to receive it. We were also grateful we encountered no difficulty of any kind, including tornadoes! I began writing in my journal once I settled down, but fell asleep until 4 a.m. and now it is 5 and I hear the rain pelting the window. Will sleep for an hour and then off we go to another day at the ERC and very grateful to be a missionary.

1 comment: