"And so we see it is by small and simple things that great things are brought to pass."

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Guatemalan Tamales and Gracias Prayers

This is one of Oscar and Karina's famous homemade tamales, Guatemalan style. Filled w/chicken and a mole sauce that is incredible; but even more incredible than their tamales are these wonderful people. They stopped by the other night for a visit for their "Family Night". They were both baptized as children in Guatemala but now attend another denomination. Oscar sends money back to Guatemala to help build his church at home. Even though they struggle at times, he says he is rich and makes too much not to share. I have given them a Book of Mormon in Spanish along with a subscription to the Liahona in Spanish, and the Friend in English. At the end of their visit last week, Oscar asked if he could pray with us. He offered his prayer in Spanish and we understood every fourth or fifth word - - "gracias". She is going to teach me how to make this delicious dish next Saturday.
Sister Lapin called me Friday....Yang Gao is going to be baptized next Saturday evening in the Sugar Hill Stake Center. I am thrilled! I feel as though he has a great work to perform in China in building Heavenly FAther's kingdom...he is such an incredibly bright and accomplished young man.
Last night Laurinda invited Sister P and I for Indian food as a sort of "going away" celebration for Darlene Anderson. who is leaving tomorrow for San Antonio to finish her last year of medical school. She is the daughter of an Asian woman and a Swedish father. She is the youngest of 9 children and the only one with red hair...all of her siblings have dark hair. Her paternal grandmother thought her mother had been unfaithful, so she tried to drown Darlene in the toilet. Darlene joined the church several years ago and has quite a story to tell. She is a strong woman who is fearlessl
Daryl, the Regional Director of LDS Employment asked me to join him in working with Herbert Lowe, an extremely talented honorable man who is essentially a "hired gun" in Marketing. He has worked nationally and internationally with names like Coke, Pepsi, McDonald's, Athlete's Foot, etc. Since Daryl was out of the office when Herb came in, I was able to do intake and get to know him a bit, then was pleased to join in the meeting he had with Daryl. I learned so much. When you get to his level, you create your job: research companies that have problems you have the expertise to solve, make some friends there (LinkedIn), meet the person with authority to hire, and demonstrate to him you can solve his "pain". Daryl gave me some assignments relative to this, and I am on them!
Received sweet notes from several grandchildren this week, emails from some of my children, and phone calls from others. My sweet friend Pamela and her son Steve sent me a lovely Valentine package. They are coming for Thanksgiving this year which means we will finally meet. She used to be Chad's secretary when he was with Kirkland and Ellis in Chicago...a very special lady. My Christmas cards finally came off my door and now Valentines are up!
I am finding healthy recipes and was surprised to see that the pizza dough I made from high fiber coconut flour, flax meal and herbs was delicious. A must to bake it on parchment however so it can be flipped. Fresh veggies on top and it is a keeper.
Another one of our Career Workshop attendees got a job, plus one other individual. There are promising leads several others are working on. I am grateful.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment