"And so we see it is by small and simple things that great things are brought to pass."

Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas In Georgia

I have missed my family a great deal this week but I have not been sad...I have been grateful. The highlight of Christmas was being able to g-chat with most of my children and their families Christmas Eve when they gathered at my house. Did my heart good as I talked with everyone there from the youngest to the oldest. They are my treasures. I heard from so many of my friends by card or email and it was such a lift. I continue to be carried by the friendship, support and example of good people. Our friend and co-worker, Brenda, had complications from a routine surgery, so we spent Friday afternoon at the hospital with her and today went to her home down the road in Sugar Hill. She is much improved. Friday morning we went to the temple...the perfect place to be Christmas weekend. After we left Brenda Friday afternoon we went to Stone Mountain Park to see the 2 million lights...breath-taking. We also saw the night parade and then went into the theater to see Polar Express in 4D. That was done very well....Disneyland-ish. Saturday afternoon we took Catherine out for Christmas Eve dinner at 2:00. Justin was not able to come for the best of reasons: he has a job. He paid his tithing shortly after being baptized and just as we expected, he found work. Catherine is starting her second week of work. They are being showered with those blessings that are the reward for obedience and faith. It is such a joy to watch. Sunday our friend, Laurinda and her daughter, Courtney came to church with us and then later at 4:00 we went to her friend, Cherry's house for a Jamaican Christmas Dinner. Are you ready for the menu: turkey, fish, oxtail, lamb, curried chicken, sweet and sour chicken, meatballs, sweet potato souffle, celery casserole, stuffed mushrooms, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, grape salad, pepper- tomato-cucumber salad, beans and rice, dumplings, cheeseball, and for dessert: rum cake (we passed), lemon pound cake, brownies, and cookies. AND....you don't just begin dinner, eat and then it's over...no....people came all night long and were still coming and eating when we left at 9:00! Lovely people who didn't seem to mind we were the only white ones in the bunch! We certainly loved it!
My heart is full as I realize that everyday is Christmas for me as I think of the Savior, consciously try to represent Him well, constantly seeking help from Him and Heavenly FAther as I serve these good people, repenting and trying to improve and be more like Them. I couldn't love Him more at Christmas than I do each and every day of this blessed life as a missionary. I am most grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment