"And so we see it is by small and simple things that great things are brought to pass."

Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Different Kind of Sunday

My friends Karina and Oscar said if I went to their church, they would go to mine, so today I attended Spanish Speaking Services at their Evangelical Church where I was warmly welcomed. My companion was with three of her children who came to town, so this was a good Sunday to spend with one of my favorite families. I understood very little that was said in the services, and it was a very different type of worship, but I felt the devotion of the people to God, and felt a heart full of love for them as my brothers and sisters...and the thought went through my head, "I hope they all have jobs." Oscar told me later that several people were surprised that a Mormon Missionary would attend their church, but Oscar spoke words of truth when he said we are all God's children. He explained to me that the gist of the sermon was preparing to meet Jesus Christ when he comes by being the same person all week that you are on Sunday. The pastor called them to repentance in a loving way. Oscar invited me to go out to lunch with them but when I declined and then explained why, when asked , they changed their plans and we made lunch at their house: carnitas, home-made tortillas, beans, guacamole and grilled scallions. Their sons, Kevin and Joshua are cute little guys who made it such a nice family time together. Karina sent me home with a beautiful apron from San Salvador and a cloth for warming my home made tortillas. It will be several weeks before I invite them to church as next Sunday we are having a special meeting with the Presiding Bishop, yes...I spoke correctly. The next Sunday after that is fast Sunday, the next Sunday after that is Mother's Day, and I want them to hear a regular church meeting, at least that is what I am thinking at this point. We are going to attend the Spanish Branch instead of my English-speaking Brockett Ward.
Scott Kern emailed that he got the Controller position! Great news! Even better - in the interview with the VP he was asked if he was Mormon. When Scott said he was, the VP said that his plant manager in another city is Mormon and the hardest working honest man he knows..... Scott and I agreed that he had to find out that plant manager's name and send him a thank you note for setting such a stellar example!

No comments:

Post a Comment